Through a joint resolution -N°5 / 2021- issued and signed between the National Seed Institute (INASE) and the Ministry of Health of Argentina, it is approved the registration of varieties of Cannabis sativa L.
With this resolution issued, the registration of cultivars of the Cannabis sativa L. species is authorized before the National Registry of Cultivars and/or the National Registry of the Property of Cultivars of the NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SEEDS,
The objectives of the resolution are the following:
- Guarantee the central objective of Law No. 27,350 in relation to access to medical cannabis by citizens.
- Allow those who grow their own plants, access to quality seeds and certified identity and, to those who consume their products, reliable information about them.
- To value the work of all those who throughout these years have investigated and studied the properties of the seed of this species, even when the activity was not contemplated in the Law.
- Enable the commercialization and eventually the use of the breeder’s right.
- Collaborate in the expansion of technological sovereignty, allowing research, development, and improvement of varieties applied to the national territory and their own characteristics.
According to article 2, those -locals and foreigners- who want to file an application before the INASE, will have to comply with the requirements requested by the body for the purposes of registration except for the declaration of the genetic origin from which the applicant is exempted.